Image via Pexels
What You Need To Know About A Smooth Home Renovation
If you've never undertaken a home renovation before, the prospect can be intimidating. There are a lot of things to consider, from the types of renovations you want to tackle to finding contractors you can trust, as well as making sure you communicate your ideas clearly. To help you enjoy a smoother renovation experience, this article shared by Realtor Debbi Rivero outlined everything you need to know about home renovations from start to finish.
There are many different types of home renovations to choose from, depending on your needs and goals. Some common types of renovations include:
● Adding a home office: This can be a great way to create a dedicated space for working from home. If you're planning on adding an office, make sure to plan for things like adequate lighting and electrical outlets.
● Updating your kitchen: A new kitchen will add value to your home and make it more enjoyable overall. When planning a kitchen renovation, be sure to think about things like layout, storage, and appliances.
● Bathroom remodeling: A new bathroom is another great way to increase the value of your home. When planning a bathroom renovation, be sure to think about things like layout, fixtures, and storage.
One of the most important aspects of any home renovation is finding contractors who are reputable and open to sharing your vision. When vetting contractors:
● Get recommendations from friends or family members who have recently undertaken similar projects.
● Read online reviews carefully, paying attention to both positive and negative reviews.
● Ask potential contractors for references from previous clients.
● Make sure potential contractors are licensed and insured.
Before beginning any type of home renovation project, you must communicate your ideas clearly with your contractor (or contractors). This means being specific about what you want in a finished product, as well as what you can afford. Once you've communicated exactly what you’re hoping to achieve, it will be much easier for your contractor(s) to provide you with an accurate estimate of both time and cost.
It's also important to establish a timeline and schedule for your renovation project from the start. This will ensure your project stays on track and is completed promptly. Be sure to factor in any potential delays when setting your timeline so that you don't end up disappointed or stressed later on. This might include weather-related issues or shipping delays that will affect access to certain materials.
One of the most important aspects of any home renovation is budgeting and estimating costs accurately. This means taking into account not only the cost of materials but also the cost of labor. Be sure to get estimates from multiple contractors before making a final decision so that you can compare prices accurately.
In recent years, there has been an increase in the use of apps or software by contractors during the construction process. Common examples include construction takeoff software and cost estimation tools. These tools can be used for tasks like managing construction documents or staying on budget. If you're working with a contractor who uses one of these tools, be sure to ask about how they use them and how they will benefit you. This may help you better understand how costs are calculated and give you more confidence in how your money is being spent.
Once your home renovation is complete, it's a good idea to get a home warranty that will cover breakdowns where your appliances and major home systems are concerned. This is an easy way to prevent adding a large repair cost to the renovation bill, especially if your home is older.
Home renovations can be a great way to add value to your property. However, it's important to understand all aspects of the process before getting started. This includes everything from knowing what type of project is best for your needs to finding trustworthy contractors, so a little research will go a long way.
Are you thinking about putting your home on the market after your renovation? If so, let Realtor Debbi Rivero help you find the right buyer — as well as that perfect new home for you. Get in touch today by calling (443) 386-1306.
Blog provided by: Suzie Wilson